RG Check was developed by the Responsible Gambling Council, in consultation with policy makers, gambling providers, players and people who have experienced gambling harm.
The RG Check accreditation process helps gambling venues evaluate, monitor and manage all aspects of their RG strategy.
Operators benefit from a complete roadmap to implementing Responsible Gambling standards. Our accreditation program is backed by rigorous safeguards that protect players and fosters a sustainable player base.
RG Check Accreditation is valid for a three-year period, at which point operators may apply for reaccreditation. All accreditations are reviewed by a prestigious and independent panel.
Mission, Goals & Benefits
Our mission is to support the adoption of meaningful responsible gambling initiatives in land-based and online gambling sites through the creation and implementation of measurable evidence-informed standards.
- Provide evidence-led standards developed by well-respected, independent experts in the field of responsible gambling research and problem gambling prevention
- Help venues and iGaming sites determine the types of actions they need to take to prevent and minimize the potential harms caused by gambling
- To increase public confidence in responsible gambling programs
- Recognizes gambling venues and iGaming sites that have achieved high standards in responsible gambling programs
- Provides operators with an objective evaluation of their responsible gambling policies and procedures
- Identifies areas of strength, as well as areas where improvements can be made, in their responsible gambling efforts
- Provides gambling venues and online gambling sites with effective tools for improving responsible gambling programs and services on an ongoing basis
- Assures people who gamble that gambling providers take their safety seriously
- Increases public confidence
Safer gambling tips
Unlike a night in streaming movies, there’s an inherent built-in risk when it comes to gambling and odds are, over time, you will lose more often than you win. Here are some strategies you can use to play safe and have fun.
Don’t gamble when you’re upset or stressed
Limit your alcohol and/or cannabis intake while gambling
Know how the games work before you wager
Set budget and time limits – there are tools available on many slot machines, mobile and internet gambling sites to help you monitor your play
Take frequent breaks – move around, get some fresh air, have something to eat or a coffee
Only gamble with money you have – never borrow money or use money intended for necessities, like rent or food
Don’t try to win back what you’ve lost
Gambling is not a way to make money so don’t think of it as a chance to win money for a trip, to pay bills or to pay off debt
Stick to your budget by leaving your credit and debit cards at home
Balance gambling with other recreational activities
If you’re no longer having fun, stop playing
Don’t depend on “good luck” strategies – they don’t increase your chances of winning
What to know if you’re gambling online
Only gamble on websites that have pre-commitment tools in place to help you manage your play by setting time and/or money limits; the RG Check accreditation symbol is a sign that the site has features to help protect you from overly risky play
Use a free gambling site blocker app to restrict or limit your access
Watch out for hidden fees when it comes to the costs of using your credit card to play
You can block sites you don’t want access to or set time limits using software like Bet Blocker and GamBan